2005 Corvette Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN)
VIN Range & Meaning
|VIN Range||1G1YY24U855100001 – 1G1YY24U855137341|
|1 (First Digit)||1 – United States|
|G (Second Digit)||Manufacturer. G – General Motors|
|1 (Third Digit)||Manufacturer Division. 1 – Chevrolet|
|YY (Fourth & Fifth Digits)||Carline/Series. YY – Corvette/Coupe|
|2/3 (Sixth Digit)||Bodystyle of Car. 2 – Two Door Hatchback Coupe, 3 – Two Door Convertible|
|4 (Seventh Digit)||Type of Restraint System. 4 – Active (Manual) Belts with Driver and Pass. Inflatable Restraints System.|
|U (Eighth Digit)||Type of Engine. U – LS2: V8, 6.0 Liter, Aluminum Engine, SFI|
|8 (Ninth Digit)||Check Digit (varies)|
|5 (Tenth Digit)||The Model Year. 5 – 2005|
|5 (Eleventh Digit)||Location of the Assembly Plant. 5 – Bowling Green, Kentucky|
|1XXXXX (Twelfth thru Seventeenth Digits)||Production Sequence Numbers.|
The last six digits begin at 100001 and run thru 137341. The pilot and prototype cars were given a VIN number in this VIN series. Each Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is unique to an individual car. Ending VIN Does Not Match Total Quantity Because 2005 Production Included 32 Prototype Builds.
2005 Corvette VIN Derivative
All engines are stamped or laser etched with a partial vehicle identification number (VIN), which was derived from the complete VIN.
- 155100001 – 1551137341
The engine VIN derivative contains the following nine positions:
- 1 (First Digit) – GM Division Identifier. 1 – Chevrolet
- 5 (Second Digit) – Model Year. 5 – 2005
- 5 (Third Digit) – Assembly Plant. 5 – Bowling Green, KY
- 1XXXXX (Fourth thru Ninth Digits) – Plant Sequence Numbers (matching VIN)
Engine ID and VIN Derivative Label Locations (6 Liter Engine)
The vehicle identification number (VIN) is located on the left side rear of the engine block. (See Figure 2, Item 1 below) and is typically a 9 digit number stamped or laser-etched onto the engine at the vehicle assembly plant.
- The first digit identifies the division.
- The second digit identifies the model year.
- The third digit identifies the assembly plant.
- The fourth through ninth digits are the last six digits of the VIN
2005 Corvette Transmission ID and VIN Derivative (4L60-E Automatic Transmission)
- 5 = 2005
- Hydra-Matic 4L60-E
- Julian Date or Day of the Year
- Shift Built – A, B, J = First Shift, C, H, W = Second Shift
- Serial Number
- Transmission ID Location