Facts and Figures from Corvette Racing’s Impressive History at Daytona
If you’ve been a fan of Corvsport.com for any length of time, you know that one of our favorite pastimes is following the Corvette Racing program throughout each season of IMSA racing. In their 20+ years of racing, the Corvette Racing team has emerged time and again as champions of the sport. They continue – year after year – to be one of the winningest of all the racing teams in the GT field.
This Saturday (January 26, 2019), Corvette Racing will begin its 21st season of competition with the Rolex 24 At Daytona to start the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. To celebrate the occasion, we thought it fitting to take a look at some of the many amazing statistics that the Corvette Racing program has secured both throughout its history at the Daytona International Speedway and as a whole. We hope you enjoy this brief look back as we prepare for the green flag to drop this weekend!
Corvette Racing – BY THE NUMBERS:
• 0.034: As in seconds – the winning margin of victory in Corvette Racing’s 1-2 finish at the 2016 Rolex 24. It is the closest finish in race history.
• 3: Consecutive Driver and Team championship in GT Le Mans (GTLM) for Corvette Racing.
• 8: As in Chevrolet’s small-block V8. More than 100 million units have been sold worldwide and is the most successful engine in American motorsports.
• 12: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001.
• 16: Number of GTLM wins for Corvette Racing since the start of 2014. That is the most of any manufacturer and team in the category.
• 20: Drivers who have driven for Corvette Racing at the Rolex 24 – Justin Bell, Ryan Briscoe, Kelly Collins, Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Marcel Fässler, Ron Fellows, Franck Freon, Antonio Garcia, Oliver Gavin, John Heinricy, Chris Kniefel, Robin Liddell, Jan Magnussen, Tommy Milner, Simon Pagenaud, John Paul Jr., Andy Pilgrim, Mike Rockenfeller, and Scott Sharp.
• 21: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres and Utah.
• 107: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 99 in North America and eight at Le Mans.
• 35,471.84: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in the Rolex 24. For reference, the distance around the Earth at the equator is 24,901 miles. The team has completed 10,291 racing laps at Daytona.
• 281,650.26: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing entering its third decade. For reference, the Apollo 13 spacecraft holds the record for farthest distance traveled from Earth – 248,655 miles.
We’d like to send out a very special THANK YOU to the team at corvetteracing.com for sharing these statistics with us.