Corvette Racing: By the Numbers
(originally published by Corvette Racing.com)
Corvette Racing is preparing to embark on its 20th season of competition with the Rolex 24 At Daytona and start of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship this weekend. To mark the occasion, here are some facts and figures on the team’s history at both Daytona and as a whole.
- 0.034: As in seconds – the winning margin of victory in Corvette Racing’s 1-2 finish in GTLM at the 2016 Rolex 24. It is the closest finish in race history.
- 1: As in one team, one manufacturer and one model of car for 20 years: Corvette Racing and Chevrolet.
- 2: Number of the overall winning Chevrolet Corvette C5-R in the 2001 Rolex 24. Ron Fellows, Johnny O’Connell, Chris Kniefel and Franck Freon completed 656 laps for 2335.36 miles in the winning effort.
- 3: Rolex 24 wins in seven tries for Corvette Racing: 2001 overall, 2015 GTLM (Antonio Garcia/Jan Magnussen/Ryan Briscoe) and 2016 GTLM (Oliver Gavin/Tommy Milner/Marcel Fässler).
- 8: As in Chevrolet’s small-block V8. More than 100 million units have been sold worldwide, and it’s the most successful engine in American motorsports.
- 12: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001.
- 15: Number of GTLM wins for Corvette Racing since the start of 2014. That is the most of any manufacturer and team in the category.
- 20: Drivers who have competed for Corvette Racing at the Rolex 24 – Justin Bell, Ryan Briscoe, Kelly Collins, Dale Earnhardt, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Marcel Fässler, Ron Fellows, Franck Freon, Antonio Garcia, Oliver Gavin, John Heinricy, Chris Kniefel, Robin Liddell, Jan Magnussen, Tommy Milner, Simon Pagenaud, John Paul Jr., Andy Pilgrim, Mike Rockenfeller and Scott Sharp.
- 21: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres and Utah.
- 106: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 98 in North America and eight at Le Mans
- 398: Race starts by a Corvette Racing entry since 1999.
- 29,914: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in the Rolex 24. For reference, the distance around the Earth at the equator is 24,901 miles.
- 263,074: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing since its inception. By comparison, Apollo 13 holds the record for farthest distance traveled from the Earth at “only” 248,655 miles… more than 14,000 miles shy of Corvette Racing’s total racing mileage!
Corvette Racing at Daytona
|1999||GT2||Fellows/Kneifel/Paul Jr.||3rd||Corvette C5-R|
|2001||GTS||Fellows/O’Connell/Kneifel/Freon||1st||Corvette C5-R||Overall win by eight laps|
|2014||GTLM||Garcia/Magnussen/Briscoe||10th||Corvette C7.R||Retired (Mechanical)|
|2015||GTLM||Garcia/Magnussen/Briscoe||1st||Corvette C7.R||Magnussen fastest lap|
|GTLM||Gavin/Milner/Pagenaud||3rd||Corvette C7.R||Gavin pole|
|2016||GTLM||Garcia/Magnussen/Rockenfeller||2nd||Corvette C7.R||Garcia fastest race lap|
|GTLM||Gavin/Milner/Fassler||3rd||Corvette C7.R||0.034-second MOV|